Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 17:22:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Eliuk <cagey@sunshine.net>
To:        abbott at MPCA <jabbott@wolf.co.net>
Cc:        questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: oops.

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, abbott at MPCA wrote:
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quite a long loop :-]

>Thank you to everyone who helped me with my copy and paste from xterm
>question.  Unfortunatly shortly after I asked it became moot.

>Last week I had something kind of bad happen.  I ran out of space on my /
>(root partition)  -- I did not make it big enough the first time I
>installed and I have not had time to shuffle things around and
>repartition
>it.  So what I decided to do, unwisely I might add, :-( is move some of
>the
>stuff out of / and onto my other drive (mounted on /pca) and then
>symbolic
>link to it.  I did not really think this through quite as well as I
>should
>have and I now understand the error of my ways.

>This was not an issue until today when I rebooted. :-)
> My question is what now?
>
> When I try to reboot I get
> no init
> panic
>
> and then a reboot
>
> I was thinking of doing a system upgrade.  I am running a gamma release
> right now.  I have booted it from a floppy and I can see all the partitions
> in there.  Nothing is mounted and I can not remember which partition mounts
> to which mount point.
>
> What are peoples opinions of what I should do?
If you can boot from floppy (I'm assuming install floppy) and see your
partitions you should be able to mount them. If you have record of the
files you moved you can initiate the fixit floppy and <copy> them back.

I did something as serious before and recovered quite nicely this way.

I'm sure this will help.
				|  \    kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net     /  |
				|    \	     Kevin G. Eliuk        /    |