Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 1996 17:36:07 -0800
From:      Hussein Kanji <hussein@verso.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Slow FTP & web rates/network speed

We've got a Pentium 133 with 96 megs of memory and a SMC PCI Ethernet card
hooked up to a T1. With that hardware, we'd imagine that ftp transfers
should be flying... but no such luck.

We have an anonymous FTP server set up on this machine and it takes care of
about 5 hosts on the Web that are hit pretty hard. Running top, most of the
memory gets cached for NCSA 1.5, but the system is about 98-99% idle. Each
site sees about 100,000 hits/day.

I've recompiled the kernel several times, with the following options

        maxusers 256
        nmbclusters=4096

to get it to speed up (and cuz I thought I might have run out of mbufs).
I've also had complaints that people are getting dropped connections on ftp
and the transfer rates are really low.

Any ideas on how to speed things up? Please email them to me. Thanks.