Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:13:43 GMT
From:      abc@anchorageinternet.org
To:        "freebsd-questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   virtual window managers

i would like to know if there exists any fix for my problem here:

problem: apps like XV and MPEG_PLAY refused to open dialogs/windows
        in any "virtual window" other than the one containing the "origin"
        in window managers that support them (VTWM in my case).

this really sucks, since one is forced to always remain in the
"virtual window #1" when using these apps (there's probably more)
or any apps that call on these apps - which destroys the whole
purpose of having a virtual window type window manager.

from what i understand, it's due to incorrect function calls
by these apps, and this appears to be a long standing problem,
since it is documented in 6+ year old documentation.  i guess
i am wondering why this stuff has never been fixed by the
authors of these apps, or anyone else - or if their is
a solution i am unaware of ...

thank you.