Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 09:00:54 -0500
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LAN question

That step wasn't in the book because it was an error.  Greg regularly sends
out errata and addenda to "The Complete FreeBSD" on this list.  I've
included the relevant section below:

Errata and addenda for the Complete FreeBSD, third edition

Last revision: 2 August 1999

Page 362
________

Replace the text at the top of the page with:

Next, change to the build directory and build the kernel:

# cd ../../compile/FREEBIE
# make depend
# make

    The  make  depend  is needed even if the directory has just been created:
    apart from creating dependency information, it also  creates  some  files
    needed for the build.
Thanks to Mark Ovens <marcov@globalnet.co.uk> for drawing this to my attention,
and   to   Francisco   Reyes   <francisco@natserv.com>   and   Bill    Fumerola
<billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>  for pointing out that it still wasn't fixed in the