Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 01:36:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      mdragon@vera.net
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SYM 0.9.0-19991024 O.K.

Last night we tested this controller on a HP-Netserver LH4 (53c895 fast40
scsi) this machine has 2 Xeons and 4 9Gb-10,000 rpm. disks and we found
no problems and a performace(*) gain of roughly 3-4% over the standard
ncr0 controller. 3 disks are configured as a ccd device with a 8192
interleave, Kernel 3.3-stable.

[(*) not even a real benchmark: just running du, dd,
find . -exec grep, and tar cf - | tar xf - ]

A fact that troubles me is that sym0 was able to set the transfer speed to
80.000 MB/s. and the only change in the kernel configuration file was
adding the sym0 line, I can't figure out why ncr0 always sets transfer
speed to 40 MB/s.

I remember that a similar kernel was built on a HP LPr (same 53c895
controller, same disks) and ncr0 also set the transfers speeds to
fast40-wide. What am I doing wrong?

My list of questions:
- Is vinum prefered over ccd ?
- Is someone working on the AMI MegaRAID controller ?
- Is it possible to use this raid somehow ?
  (maybe through bios, at least the bootloader can recognize it)
  Would sym0 find the raid ? I have the idea that it should, since it
  appears in the SCSI bus as id #0 lun #1