Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 09:51:56 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Scott Carmichael <freebsd@jobeus.net>
To:        Gerard Samuel <gsam@trini0.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: X box disconnected from network??

This is just a guess based on some problems I had with X in linux a long
time ago, but if it can't resolve your hostname when you're not connected
(ie. it's not in /etc/hosts), X was taking forever to load and popping up
tons of errors.

That could be it, maybe? Worth a shot if /etc/hosts is empty, sicne you're
then using your network DNS to do your own hostname resolution, and it
would dissapear without a network connection.