Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 09:20:34 -0700
From:      Peter <fbsdq@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   config -g vs. config

I was rebuilding my kernel the other day [4.2-Stable], and I did man config, looked at
the "g" option, it says something along the lines of build kernel with debugging symbols
[not at a FreeBSD box now], now shouldn't debugging symbols make the kernel
bigger, not smaller? I followed the "Complete FreeBSD book" using the -g option, then
though, that if I dont' put that in, the kernel should be smaller as it has no debugging
info in it, what turned out is that the kernel was actually 6MB instead of the regular
1.5MB, did I misunderstand the "man config" about the "g" option or am I missing
something?

www.nul.cjb.net
www.FreeBSD.org