Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 1996 10:46:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jwu@mindspring.com (The Cyberborg)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: parallel zip drive supported??

> I am thinking about switching from linux to freebsd.
>
> my concern is mostly about zip drive. Is it supported by freebsd?? If
> not, when will it be supported?

You must make the following disktab entry:

#
# IOmega Zip Drive
#
# Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de
#
iomega|ZIP Drive: \
        :ty=winchester:dt=SCSI:se#512:nt#64:ns#32:nc#96:rm#3600:\
        :pc#196608:oc#0: \
        :pe#196608:oh#0:bh#4096:fh#512:th=4.2BSD:

This assumes the SCSI version of the drive.  I don't think the
parallel port version is supported (the interface documentation
isn't available).

> my hardware is :
> pentium 133 16 edo memory
> adaptec 2940 scsi2 with seagate 2.0g hd
> 6x ide on-board interface

There was a reported problem with a Sony 6x drive; I believe it was
corrected and is working in -current.  You should check the hardware
list on www.freebsd.org for your specific drive (if it's even a Sony).

> ensoniq pnp sound card ( I guess pnp is not supported either)

You will probably need to disable PnP.  PnP support is close, but
assumes you have a PnP motherboard.  Without that, it's impossible
to determine that a PnP card is colliding with a non-PnP card for
which there is not a driver.

Windows95 has PnP problems with Adaptec cards, since they tend to
stomp on the IRQ 12 (more of a problem if you have a mouse living
there like the machine we had).

> matrox millenium ( I havd Accelerated X  no problem!!)
>
> I am planning to add one Western Digital 1.6G hd.

IDE? SCSI?

Many IDE Hard drives will not operate as slaves when used with Hard
drives from other manufacturers as masters.  You should make sure
that you get all IDE devices from the same manufacturer if you use
IDE.  Connor drivers are known offenders, and there are others (I
don't have a list, sorry).

> I am tired of Linux's messy way to upgrade.

Then you will want to stay with the releases rather than the -stable
or -current branches, which are under active developement.  Because
of this, driver support will lag ~6 months from the -current branch.

This may be a problem for your CDROM.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---