Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 1996 11:03:06 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What I'd like to see brought to -stable

"Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua> writes:

># > 2.  "phk malloc" by Paul Henning Kampf. It's one of the best performance
>#
># Have all the wailing applications been cleaned up?  Last I heard,
># there was still some userland stuff complaining about malloc
># conditions.  I'd kinda like to see all of those found and fixed before
># declaring this malloc ready for -stable.
>
>        I think that it will be wise to add it to -stable-SNAP
>        and all occurences of weird apps will be found in a week by
>        the happy -stable users, me among them. ;-)

IMHO, including it at this time would create some VERY UNHAPPY -stable users.
If we even suspect that there is a problem, we MUST check it out in
-current first.

>        And better have fixed apps for 2.1.5 (or will it be 2.1-Gold?)
>        than silently broken ones?  That's my arguments.

Why should it skip to 2.1.5? 2.1.1 is a very nice number.

># > 4.  A new groff (1.10). It's way nice to have direct LaserJet printing!
>#
># Hmmm.
>
>        Gm. Yes, it's probably too specific for me. I already
>        dropped groff stolen from -current to /usr/src and reinstalled it;
>        just Ok, so please forget this. Everyone who wants it
>        will go this way, too.

This is just what YOU should do to test things out.
Start with -stable and then add the thing you wish to test from -current.
If it works well, it can become a candidate for inclusion in -stable.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net