Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 02:00:39 +0100
From:      Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>
To:        "Jon Reynolds" <jonr@destar.net>, "FreeBSD Questions List" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: chown and chmod using crontab?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Reynolds" <jonr@destar.net>
To: "FreeBSD Questions List" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 1:44 AM
Subject: chown and chmod using crontab?

> I have a directory that 2 different groups have access to.
> When one group writes to the folder it retains the permissions
> of that group. I need the permissions to change to the permissions
> of the directory.
>
> I thought I could add a crontab in and run a little script every 1
> minute to set the correct permissions. The script does what it
> should when ran by the cmdline but not when I try to run it
> from the crontab.
>
> Is it not possible to run chmod and chown on a folder by using a
> crontab?

If you have two different groups that need write access in a directory, the
obvious solution, to me, is not to change ownership at 1 minute intervals,
but to create a third group, and make the people of both groups a member of
that third group. Then you give that directory write acces for that third
group.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---