Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:24:22 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>
Cc:        Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cursor (trackpoint) "creep" with moused?

> Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 17:09:26 -0400
> From: Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 04:52:42PM -0400, Andy Sparrow wrote:
> >
> > I'm just curious as to why this might be - the trackpoint "creep", that
> > is - does anyone have any ideas? :-)
>
> I've experienced the same effect on a Toshiba laptop running W2k, so
> perhaps it's the device, not anything fbsd-specific.

TrackPoint creep is inherent in the design and operation of the
TrackPoint(tm). The hardware should detect the slight bias in the
system and re-balance the system if the TrackPoint is left alone for a
few seconds. It detects a continuous offset in the signal from the
pointer and compensates for it. This is probably done in BIOS.

This is documented in the manuals for IBM systems using TrackPoint. I
don't know if Toshiba has a similar stuff in their manual, but I'm
pretty sure that the operation is the same.

Bottom line: If you see the pointer "creeping", just leave it alone
for about 5 seconds and it should stop.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)