Date:      Sun, 5 Aug 2001 12:00:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/29469: ata-tags considered harmful (DTLA)

The following reply was made to PR kern/29469; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To: Volker Stolz <stolz@i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 20:54:47 +0200 (CEST)

 It seems Volker Stolz wrote:
 > Enabling ATA tags will (reliably reproduceable by make world -j4!) cause the
 > following errors on heavy disk load, including a spontaneous reboot.
 > One time, the message
 >
 >   kernel: type 18 trap, code=0
 >
 > was observed, after trying to save the system by ctrl-c´ing the processes
 > causing the load (sometimes the messages will seize and it´s possible to
 > cleanly shutdown).

 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > Enable ata tags (& wc), cd /usr/src, nice make buildworld -j4 and wait a
 > couple of minutes.

 Hmm, I cant reproduce that here, not with the above and not with any other
 torture test I can come up with. I think you have a HW problem of some
 sort since you alse have spontaneous reboots..
 Anyhow I'll let my test box run for a couble of days...

 > >Fix:
 > Don´t enable ata-tags, it´s off by default anyway now.

 Tags was newer on as default

 -Søren