Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 1998 03:20:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jason Fayre <jfayre@mindspring.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   isntallation help!!!!

Hello,
This situation is driving me crazy.
I have tried to install FreeBSD on my system several times.  I have tried
with 2.2.6 and with 3.0.
Problem:
Install completes successfully.  When I try to boot the system for the
first time, the kernel starts and goes through the device checks.
Then I get the message:
kernel panic: unable to mount root (2)
The lines just preceding this error are:
changing root to wd0s1a
changing root to wd0a

I may not have this info exactly correct as I am now at work and the
system is at home.  I have tried install disks from 2.2.6, 3.0.release and
the latest 3.0 snap.
Here is my configuration:
Pentium 166
48MB of ram
Ne2000 network card at 300H, irq 11
2.5gb ide  segate hard drive.

I have tried using the entire drive for freebsd in case it might be a
drive geometry problem, but no change.

Help!!!!!

Jason Fayre