Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 12:42:21 -0459 (CDT)
From:      "Boyd R. Faulkner" <faulkner@asgard.bga.com>
To:        jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr (Jean-Marc Zucconi)
Cc:        asami@freebsd.org, sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new category: astro

According to Jean-Marc Zucconi:

>  >  * I'd further separate the astrology & astronomy stuff, since one's a science
>  >  * and the other, welllll......

If sociology can be a science, anything can.

>  > I thought about that too (mind you, I don't care about astrology at
>  > all, I even objected astrolog joining the now-defunct "utililities"
>  > category :), but I thought there probably won't be enough ports there
>  > to warrant a new category if we limit it to the science of astronomy
>  > only.  (If we want to include xasteroid, we sure can't exclude
>  > astrolog....)
>
> So exclude xasteroid AND astrolog, but include xephem :-)
>
>  > Satoshi

Then, remove stars.  It is just an X demo with no real relationship to
space at all.  At least astrolog does the math right.

I wasn't very fond of the idea of grouping according to subject matter.  The
rest of the ports are divided by utility.  xearth, xphoon, xsnow, xlock, stars,
xscreensaver, these are backgrounds/screensavers.  Add a screensaver directory.
(If stars isn't, then it is like xtacy, screensaver stuff in the foreground.)

Ideally, we would have sorted indices according to different criteria.  I
won't hold my breath, though.

Boyd

> Jean-Marc

        Boyd Faulkner            "The fates lead him who will;
   faulkner@asgard.bga.com       Him who won't, they drag."
http://asgard.bga.com/~faulkner  Old Roman Saying -- Source:  Joseph Campbell