Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 03:17:20 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        asmodai@wxs.nl, dfr@nlsystems.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net, sthaug@nethelp.no
Subject:   Re: Really! strange uid value

>> > Remember that the "nobody" user is uid 65534 (0xfffe). The signed
>> > extension of this to 32 bits is 0xfffffffe. Maybe you're seeing uid 0
>> > being translated to 65534 (due to NFS) and then sign extended.
>>
>> Could be, but that is still not correct behaviour as far as my knowledge
>> goes. It should not get sign extended IMHO. Am I correct in assuming this
>> (call to the more knowledgeable ones)?
>
>Do you have a simple repeatable test?  What OS is the server running?

FreeBSD server, FreeBSD client, nfsv3:

	# cd world_writable_nfs_mounted_directory_which_shouldnt_exist
	# cat
	^\
	# ls -l cat.core
	-rw-------  1 4294967294  wheel  225280 Feb 28 03:06 cat.core

4294967294 is just the default mapped uid for root.  It is (uid_t)-2.
See mountd sources.  It has nothing to do with user nobody or 65534,
except possibly on buggy clients that silently truncate it mod 65536.
Perhaps it is a bug to use (uid_t)-2 instead of 65534.  For clients
with only 16-bit uid_t's you would want to keep all uids on the
server < 65536.

Bruce