Date:      Wed, 1 May 1996 11:54:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        s_koyin@eduserv.its.unimelb.EDU.AU (HMG coA reductase)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP addresses

> If i don't know the IP address of this machine, but know everything else
> (DNS, gateway, etc), is it possible to find out by some means what my IP
> is? I'm on an Ethernet. BOOTP doesn't work.

You mean ethernet address for bootp, not IP address?

Your IP address is assigned to the machine by your administrator.

If you boot using BOOTP, then part of the rc is to run /etc/netstart
to start up networking -- and to bind your assigned IP address to your
interface.

If your machine is up and you can telnet into another host, then
the command "who am i" at the shell prompt should return your host
name, or your IP address, if RARP is incorrectly configured, that
you used to telnet in.

>From there, you can type "arp -a" (or "/usr/sbin/arp -a") to get a
name-to-ethernet-address mapping for your host.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.