Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 16:56:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Kevin Eliuk <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-2.1.6 and ppp to pap ISP

On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Kevin Eliuk wrote:

> I am new user of FreeBSD and am having problems with user ppp setting
> up the configuration.
>
> Symptoms I have noticed are I can connect be authenticated and can ping
> my host by 'ping 204.191.204.254' for eg.. I have also noticed recently
> that the ifconfig tun0 maintains it's settings and only after I close
> the connection does it change to the show ipcp settings in ppp.

You should not configure tun0 ever; ppp takes care of it.  Once ppp
establishes the connection, it configures tun0 appropriately and executes
the commands in /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup, which should reset the routes.

When ppp exists, it will remove the routes it's added, so when it quits
entirely (not when it disconnects with -auto on), it will ifconfig tun0
down and remove routes.

> Two other things I am curious about is that when I put the netmask value
> of 255.255.255.0 in the ppp.conf in either hex or as shown it displays
> in show ipcp as neg... 255.255.255.255/32. Also with the os I did not
> receive getbyhostname,etc. and wondered if this was my problem.

The netmask is OK; it's just presenting it in the alternate notation.
'getbyhostname' isn't a program, it's a library call, and the real name is
'gethostbyname'.  If you're getting errors from it, your nameservice isn't
working properly.  Make sure that /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hosts, and
/etc/host.conf are set properly.

> The attachment by the time you read this may be reconfigured but
> I include it anyway.

This is a UNIX support list; I don't think any of us have a copy of Write
available.  :)  Try reposting in plain text.