Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 1997 09:11:19 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        mfwong@mol.net.my, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NAT implementation ?

>  I realize that there is NAT for PPP now, but what about other type
>  of interface ? Is NAT meant to be interface device independent or
>  dependent ? I bought an ET 64K sync card but the driver doesn't have
>  NAT and I am hoping to see FreeBSD may have kernel NAT support in
>  future or now ? 8-)))

There is two ways to do Network Address Translation. The first you mentioned
is built into the user PPP code (http://www.srv.net/~cmott/alias.html).

The second is built into the IP Filter code (http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/)
With this second way you can use any IP interface for the translation.
The IP Filter NAT method requires some additional proxies (such as a
ftp proxy).

--mark.