Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 1996 09:01:32 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, max@sfc.wide.ad.jp
Subject:   Re: problems with comconsole of current kernel

>     I've been using boot block compiled with FORCE_COMCONSOLE macro
>defined and it has been working fine until I changed my kernel to the
>current one.  (It works OK with kernel from 04/22.)

What are the kernel and bootblock versions exactly?  Not much has
changed since 04/22.

>     First, when I boot up the system, message as follows appears on
>the screen of PC that is connected to the com1 of the FreeBSD box:

>Serial console forced.
>>> FreeBSD BOOT @ 0x10000: 640/31744 k of memory
>Usage: [[[0:][wd](0,a)]/kernel][-abcCdhrsv]
>Use 1:sd(0,a)kernel to boot sd0 if it is BIOS drive 1
>Use ? for file list or press Enter for defaults

>Boot:
>dosdev = 80, biosdrive = 0, unit = 0, maj = 0

I broke the BOOTWAIT timeout for the FORCE_COMCONSOLE case some time
before the change that introduced printing of the drive numbers, but
since the boot didn't hang, this is probably not your problem.

>Booting 0:wd(0,a)/kernel @ 0x100000
>text=0xe8000 data=0x14000 bss=0x13cac symbols=[+0x354+0x4+0x109c8+0x4+0x150f2]
>total=0x235ac2 entry point=0x100000

>After showing this message, FreeBSD disconnects the serial line (I
>think it's dropping the carrier detect.) and no message is displayed.

It's certainly a problem in the console part of the serial driver.
This part hasn't changed for a year or two :-).

Bruce