Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:16:28 +1030 (CST)
From:      tim <tim@lost.net.au>
To:        Rogier Steehouder <r.j.s@gmx.net>, Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can I rename root?

Oops, I referred to the wrong person. For "Cliff"  read "Rogier".
Apologies :-)

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, tim wrote:

t> On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Jeffrey wrote:
t>
t> J> I am assuming you are doing this to obtain some security by
t> J> obscurity, right?
t>
t> Most people probably agree that this gains nothing for security.
t>
t> But there are other (political) reasons to rename root. In
t> Australia, for example, "root" has a meaning which might surprise
t> some overseas. I was once asked if it were possible, and I said
t> it would probably cause problems, so it was left at that.
t> However - Cliff, I at least would be interested in the results of
t> your experiment, to know which applications it breaks :-)
t>
t> Because in a perfect world, the name of the admin account
t> shouldn't mean anything.
t>
t>

--