Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 19:50:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemicals.tacorp.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: entropy reseeding is totally broken

Ok, I rebooted once and the entropy caching did not work. Changed
entropy_file to point to /var/db/entropy, rebooted. Did not
work. Commented out the entropy_file setting and rebooted... And it
worked. Rebooted 5 times, worked every time. Laptop is working
now. cvsup'd my desktop, ran mergemaster and it worked for 3 reboots...

Now, the problem I am seeing is that not only do I get the same fortunes
between reboots, but it is _always_ the same one:

"Be ALERT (the world needs more lerts"

has shown up first nearly every time for the past week. Waiting a few
minutes to log in has no effect... Still the same one. Now I'm no expert
on randomness and the like, but surely this can't be very random.

I'll be eating my words tonight, but I swear it wasn't working for me
:) (and yes i had the latest rc files).

--
          Wesley N Morgan                       _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \