Date:      25 Nov 97 16:42:25 +0100
From:      leifn@image.dk (Leif Neland)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install ports behind the firewall

At 25 Nov 97 14:00:03 uwp@ukrv.de  (2:234/49.99) wrote to Leif Neland regarding Re: install ports behind the firewall in area "freebsd-questions"

 u> Can anyone tell me, why the ports are delivered this way ? Why
 u> will they not just delivered as fully .tar.gz ? I hate to do a
 u> make and the port can't get all sources because the line's dead
 u> or too slow etc.

Do you want the compiled stuff? Then you should ftp the packages.

Or do you want fbsd to come with all the sources for all the hundreds of programs in /usr/ports? That would take several gigabytes.

I like the way the ports only contains information of which files to get, from where, and what to do it. That only takes a few kB, until the time I decide I want to use that program.

Leif Neland
leifn@image.dk

---