Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 11:11:03 -0400
From:      "Jason J. Horton" <jason@intercom.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: video recording and encoding on FreeBSD

> How much diskspace would you require for an hour and a reasonable quality?
> I think 90 to 120 minutes of video take a very huge amount of temporary
> space and encoding even on a "fast" PC, say 600 MHz PIII, what seems a
> good machine for home use, would take more than "just a few hours" or
> overnight.

I have been experimenting with fxtv and the bktr driver. I captured
30 minutes of video, raw format took aproximately 7gigs fo drive space,
compressed to MPEG-1 it takes up aproximately 95megs. It took 2 hours
to encode if I remember correctly. This is without audio, mind you.

This was done with a Hauppauge WinTV model 401 on a Celeron 400/128M ram
system with an IBM 20G UDMA33 HDD.

--
	-Jason J. Horton <jason@intercom.com>
	 Fat Man in a Little Coat