Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2001 18:04:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        gregw-freebsd-stable@greg.cex.ca
Subject:   Re: cvsup11 still running old version of cvsupd

In article <20010912133519.A2055@greg.cex.ca>,
Greg White  <gregw-freebsd-stable@greg.cex.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 08:48:16PM +0100, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 03:30:39PM -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> > > Is this not the old version still of the server ?
> > >
> > > telnet cvsup11.freebsd.org 5999
> > > Trying 63.87.62.77...
> > > Connected to freebsd-mirror0.research.uu.net.
> > > Escape character is '^]'.
> > > OK 16 1 REL_16_1p2 CVSup server ready
> > >
> > > Is the maintainer out there ?
> >
> > No it's the same version with a slightly different version string AFAIK.
> > There was a double bumping of the revision id.
>
> This is the version number I would have expected to see (which is what I
> get when I check my own local cvsupd):
>
> gregw@frodo:~$ telnet cvsup.freebsd.org 5999
> Trying 198.104.69.57...
> Connected to n.cwu.edu.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> OK 16 1 SNAP_16_1d CVSup server ready

Here are the version strings that are OK:

    SNAP_16_1d
    REL_16_1p2
    REL_16_1p3

The last two are the same, functionally.  There was a bit of a
miscommunication about the PORTREVISION, causing the patchlevel to get
bumped an extra time without any functional changes.

I'll add something to the web page about the version strings.

BTW, I personally recommend the SNAP_16_1d version, as it has a lot
of other minor bugfixes which are not included in REL_16_1p3.  All of
the servers I maintain, including freefall and cvsup-master, have been
running the snapshots without any problems.  I should probably just
make a new real release out of the snapshot and remove the confusion.
I've only been holding off because the documentation isn't the way I
want it yet.

John