Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 1997 11:21:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jim@reptiles.org (Jim Mercer)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ftp://ftp.reptiles.org/pub/FreeBSD/local.patches/pppd-2.3.0.tar.gz

in the above URL you will find my hacks to make pppd-2.3.0 work with
2.2.1-RELEASE.

the port is not complete, as i only required IP, and thus skipped the
relevant IPX and ATALK(?) stuff.

i also didn't port the MSCHAP stuff.

my experience with the code is that it shouldn't be hard for someone to
finish it off, assuming they have a local testbed. (i don't run apple or
novell).

i was pushed into doing this because i found that i couldn't get Win95
dialup networking to connect to my FreeBSD based terminal server.

oddly enough, using Trumpet Winsock95 worked flawlessly.

this port is based on the ppp-2.3.0 code i piked up from:
   ftp://cs.anu.edu.au/pub/software/ppp/ppp-2.3.0.tar.gz

i had to modify a number of files, including renaming some from
the ANU distribution to be consistent with the current FreeBSD file names.

i provide the port with no warranties or guarantees.

i have it working on 2.2.1-RELEASE on a machine with 4 Moxa C168 8 port boards.

my testing thus far is that it works.

i will see better when the system goes into production with 32 33.6 modems
in a month or so.

--
  Jim Mercer  Reptilian Research  merce@iguana.reptiles.org +1 416 410-5633
Most people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.