Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 09:11:56 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dlombardo@excite.com (Dean Lombardo)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: S3 SonicVibes still unsupported?!

> Dear all,
>
> I have just noticed that OpenBSD (as well as NetBSD) supports the
> above...  I guess it shouldn't be too much of a problem porting it to
> FreeBSD now, right?  OpenBSD has a different directory structure though
> - it's in /src/sys/dev/pci, while FreeBSD has all the sound stuff in
> /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/snd (or sound), which apparently only deals with
> ISA cards.
>
> Perhaps it's time to create a /usr/src/sys/pci/snd, or just put sound
> cards together with other devices in pci?  Somehow OpenBSD's location
> seems more logical...
>
> A lot of inexpensive good quality cards (e.g. Turtle Beach Daytona PCI)
> use the SonicVibes chip.
>
> Luigi, anyone?

just a comment on the architecture of the pcm driver, if someone wants
guidelines to support new devices.

If you look at it the only important files in /sys/i386/isa/snd are

	ad1848.c, mss.h		MSS support
	dmabuf.c		ISA dma stuff
	sb_dsp.c, sbcard.h	SB and clones
	sound.c, sound.h	generic audio stuff

For sure sound.[ch] could be moved to some architecture-independent
place (because ISA does not mean I386).
The only thing really dependent on the PC architecture is dmabuf.c,
whereas the other card drivers care probably arch.independent as well.

In the 2.2.x port (never committed because not complete) of the
es1370 (PCI) driver i have, most routines are inherited from sound.c
and ad1848.c and i only had to rewrite some glue functions and
device-specific stuff to manipulate the card's registers.

as for the SonicVibes driver being easy to port, i have no idea...

	luigi