Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:20:31 GMT
From:      Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/30235: /usr/sbin/portmap cannot listen to localhost UDP only (patch)

The following reply was made to PR bin/30235; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Cc: Robert Faulds <robert@mongonet.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:14:30 +0000

 * Robert Faulds <robert@mongonet.net> [1102 20:02]:
 > Could we get this patch applied to stable, please?

 Please don't, it would be embarassing. I sent that patch 3 years ago,
 when I was only halfway through K&R. I can't believe it's taken that
 long to be looked at. I suspect no-one had the heart to close it,
 saying 'this is ugly as sin, I'm not committing this')..

 It was a kludge at the time (there *must* be a saner way to check an
 IP than to use strcmp) and it's not right to commit such a mess.

 A better fix would be to backport rpcbind to 4.* - I just checked that
 on a 5.3 system and it works as documented - then the portmap code could
 be taken out and shot.

 NB: this doesn't work for tcp ports in any case, and I don't know enough
 about NFS to know why '-h' only applies to udp. So a firewall would be a
 safer option if you are concerned about exposing ports. But feel free to
 use the patch if it's any use to you.

 --
 With that big new contract, I've been able to make those government mandated
 upgrades you've all been suing me about. - Prof. Farnsworth