Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 1997 13:44:49 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        parag@cgt.com (Parag Patel)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, agp@peritek.com
Subject:   Re: Status of USB, TX chipset, PIIX3, etc.

Parag Patel stands accused of saying:

> >In 10k volumes, an integrated USB target/micro device would have to be
> >under the AUD$1 mark before it is cost effective.  Try getting that
> >sort of quantity pricing on the Z8 or PIC micros commonly used in
> >serial mice these days...
>
> I just saw an ad at the back of the latest EETimes (Mon Aug 4, 1997 #965)
> from Cypress <http://www.cypres.com>.  The ad claims that they're selling
> the first USB uC under $1.00.  (But they don't mention quantity.)  It's
> their CY7C63nxx series of parts designed for joysticks, gamepads, and
> keyboards.

Alright!  Talk about timing 8) The price in those sort of
adevertisements is almost always their bulk quantity pricing.

> It's an 8-bit microcontroller including RAM (128 or 256 bytes depending
> on the part), EPROM (4Kb or 8Kb), a USB serial engine, and a transceiver.
>  It has a clock-doubler and "instant-on" low-power features.  Number of
> I/Os (whatever those are) vary from 10 to 39.  The ad claims it's a RISC
> core but doesn't say what's in it.

Number of I/O's refers to the number of uncommitted external pins
available for generic I/O.  You need 6 for a 3-button rodent; if
you're patient enough you can do absolutely anything with 10 (but you
need extra logic; more I/O's just saves you space and parts count).

I'll have to look into these guys; this is pretty hot stuff.

> The also advertise a development system is $495 including an emulator,
> assembler, debugger, software for mouse/joysticks, and a USB code
> library.  Not quite at the geek hobbyist level, but certainly not
> outrageous either.

US$500 is pretty average for a full development kit; there's probably a
cheaper option that just gives you the asembler and leaves you to build
the programming hardware yourself.

Do they mention anything about reprogrammable parts?  The $1 component
is going to be an OTP in a plastic package I expect; an EEPROM or
windowed part would be useful for development.

> For the record, I'm not am employee, customer, a contractor, or in any
> way affiliated with Cypress.

I wouldn't care if you were; the information is still appreciated 8)