Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2000 10:01:20 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Nader Turki <nturki@adelphia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 HD's

Nader Turki wrote:

> Hi there,
> I know that this is not the right list for such a question. But i'm a
> newbie and sure thee are many sys admins on this list who can answer my
> question :)
>
> I have 2 HD's
> 1. 9GB SCSI Ultra2 7200RPM
> 2. 36GB SCSI Ultra2 10,000RPM
>
> You see they both used to be 7200RPM, then i had bad sectors and IBM
> replaced the HD to a faster/better one.
>
> So, is it better to use just the 36GB 10,000RPM
> Or, I can use both and there will be no difference between the 7200 and
> 10000RPM?
>
> I mean I usually have /, /var, /tmp, /usr on the 9GB and /home on the
> 36GB
> But now I have a faster 36GB so i dunno if it's gonna be the same or
> it's stupid to use the old one (7200RPM) with the new one.
>
> I'll appreciate it if someone could help me.

Well, the 7200 will be slower than the 10,000, but that is not a reason
to dump it entirely.  Unless you are striping between the two drives,
you can use the 10,000 at nearly its full speed (minus any bus
contention issues that shouldn't be a problem with only two drives on
the SCSI bus) and just leave the 7200 as a slower data drive or
something.

BTW, if the 36GB drive is the IBM DDYS-T36950N, be sure you have
adequate cooling on the drive.  I got one of those and it runs hotter
than fire if you don't have a fan blowing across it.

One final issue: if your new drive is a SCSI-3 Ultra/160 and your old
one is a SCSI-2 Ultra or something, the bus will be forced to the lower
speed, slowing down the bigger drive (independant of the RPM rating),
however if your controller is only SCSI-2 Ultra (2940UW for instance) it
won't be able to use the Ultra/160 even if you take the slower drive off
of the bus.

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org