Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:17:02 -0400
From:      James Howard <howardjp@glue.umd.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Firewalling and VPN questions.

Hi everyone,

I have a FreeBSD firewall in the office.  It's external address
is 208.something and internally the address is 10.1.1.1.  The
netmask is 255.255.0.0 and the internal network is split so that
static IP machines have IPs in the 10.1.1.something and DHCP
addresses are in the 10.1.2.something realm.

Now, I just put a new firewall in my apartment (connected via
cable modem) running FreeBSD.  Again, the network externally is
207 and change.  Internally, the address is 10.2.1.1.  The net
mask is 255.255.0.0 and static IPs are assigned to 10.2.1.x and
DHCP addresses are given in the range 10.2.2.x.

Both firewalls use the "SIMPLE" ruleset and natd to pass packets.

So, I want to VPN the two firewalls together so that, from home,
I can telnet to 10.1.1.5 and login to the machine there.  It
occurs to me that the way to this involves SSH and PPP, but I do
not know the details.  When I first configured the office firewall,
months ago, I left PPP in the kernel.  I'd prefer not to have to
reboot as physical access is nearly nil.  What is the best option
for me here?

Thank you, Jamie