Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 13:15:29 -0500
From:      Marc Andre Paquin <map@interresa.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Multi-user web file structure on FreeBSD

Hello,

I am reading the installation process for FreeBSD (version 2.2.7 on
CD-ROM)
and I am wondering what is the best file structure to allow multi host
on the same web server (Apache).

Two years ago, a friend set up a small server with FBSD and configured
the data pages like this:

/work/usr/local/www/data/...

This has caused many problems since all web pages were (including pages
for several host) originating from .../data/
This caused at least 2 problems: the server had 1 certification for SSL
and we could not have more for the other hosts AND FTP access from each
client was not secure at all since the were all somewhere in the same
/data directory

In the book, I see that the default set up is:
/usr/local/www/data/

What's the difference between /work/usr/...  AND /usr/... ?

With my new installation (version 2.2.7), I plan to have more than a
hundred clients with their own web pages. They will be able to update
some pages by FTP so security is a big concern. What is the ideal tree?

Thank you in advance!
--
Marc Andre Paquin, Dir. IT

www.interresa.ca