Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 23:14:48 -0500
From:      Wayne Cuddy <wcuddy@crb-web.com>
To:        Chris Dempsey <chrisdempsey@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Tom Kersten <tomkersten98@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone Used Cox @Home??

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 11:56:46AM -0700, Chris Dempsey wrote:
> I was under the impression that Cox@Home was no longer
> taking customers.  That is the message they have been
> delivering in the Santa Barbara, CA area.
>
> Regardless, I have had a fair experience with Cox.
> How busy your neighbors are will determine your
> bandwidth, as it is pooled between everyone in your
> immediate neighborhood.
>
> Also, at this time (at least in CA) Cox@home is
> blocking incoming requests to ports 80 and 25,
> rendering primary applications of my server useless.
>
> You may have better luck with Cox@work, which for a
> few dollars more gives you static IP numbers, and no
> blocked ports.

I live if Fairfax, Va. If this cox@work that you speak of is the same thing as
Cox Business Service (CBS), then I can I say I that signed up for a 128/128
cable modem connection, they had it hooked up less than 5 days from the order
and I have had no service problems since.  There is definitely less initial
latency with this connection, but it does not burst as fast as the 1.5MB road
runner connection that I had through them.  They don't care what OS you have,
they support everything up to the modem, you can get more IP if need be...  I
don't work for them..