Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 17:04:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Calum Morrell <calum@telsci.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ide cdrom?

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, Calum Morrell wrote:

> I've been reading that there may be problems with some ide cd-rom
> drives, and was hoping for confirmation that my drive will work before I
> buy the 2.1.6 release from Walnut Creek.
>
> My drive is a Toshiba XM-5602B eight speed eide.

I assume this is IDE/ATAPI interfaced.  Success rates on ATAPI vary as
much as the drives do.  You can improve your chances by moving your CD to
the slave position on the primary controller, or single on the secondary
controller.  But you have to try it and see.  You can download the
boot.flp from ftp.freebsd.org and run it w/o installing to see if the
system will find your CD.

> As a student I've got to consider these wee things, especially as Linux
> didn't like my mouse ( a standard microsoft ps2! ), but I really want to
> try freeBSD as my fifth os on my machine.

ps/2 mice require a kernel rebuild, but they do work well with XFree86.