Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 06:36:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Rod Taylor <oscentral@usa.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network Cards

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> Rod Taylor wrote:
> > I've often wondered this, but why is it that every network card has a different
> > 'name'.
> > xl0, rl0, vr0, ed0, etc. etc. etc
> The best solution would be hardwiring the names, but in that case it
> doesn't matter what are the default names.

Yes. Hardwiring is the only appropriate solution.
It should be done as a part of the loader kernel configuration.
Perhaps it should work somewhat like the SCSI disk partitions.
Unspecified interfaces get the next available slot.

However, and this is the important point, it is very useful to be able
to assign an identifier to the logical interface and have that
identifier appear in EVERY reference to the interface.

I would like to hardwire 00:aa:bb:cc:dd:ee which uses the vr driver to
eth23 and have ifconfig accept and report the device as 'eth23'.
The actual driver is parenthetical.