Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:43:25 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Petri Turunen <pet@enfo.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with qmail and home dir permissions

Petri Turunen wrote:
> I have working qmail and freebsd but there is small problem.
> My home dir permission is 775 and if i change permission to 770 qmail
> cant deliver mail to me anymore.
>
> qmail-queue's permissions:
> -rws--x--x  1 qmailq  qmail  12720 15 Jou  2001 qmail-queue

The relevant programs for local mail delivery are qmail-lspawn and
qmail-local (in particular, the latter).  Check the permissions and
ownership on these.  By default I think they're installed as owner
root, group qmail, but I'm not sure how they're run (ie, as which
user).

I think you may need at least execute permission on your home
directory.  If you really don't want to do that, try making
qmail-lspawn and qmail-local suid root.  Also make sure your Maildir
(if you're using maildir) has the right permissions too (I've never
used qmail-local, only /bin/mail or procmail, so I'm not sure).