Date:      Tue, 09 Feb 1999 06:15:16 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@visi.com>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, keith@apcs.com.au, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: math.h ?

> Don't use test as your output binary.  There is a system program called
> test, and if you have . in you path, you may not figure out why your
> program is not working.

The evils of `.' in the PATH have been covered and we can
overlook the lack of an important word in the paragraph above.

There's another reason not to use `test' as a program name --
most decent shells (including many versions of /bin/sh) provide
`test' as a builtin so, whether `.' is in your path or not, the
shell's builtin `test' will be run rather than your test program
unless you remember to call it as `./test'.  That's yet another
reason why old hands tend to use names like `foo' and `bar' for
test programs, since these are not standard command names.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>