Date:      Fri, 10 Jun 2011 16:26:27 -0700
From:      John or Judy Hixson <johnorjudy@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need Help Installing and Configuring Xorg

I'm having trouble getting Xorg to run on my just recently installed =
FreeBSD 7.4-RELEASE(i386) system. I'm trying to follow the procedures in =
Sections 5.3 and 5.4 of the Handbook and can't seem to get "startx" to =
fire up; I get a black screen when I try. Here's what I've done so far:
	1. Installed Xorg from packages per 5.3. That seemed ultimately =
to go OK.
	2. As my Xorg is version 7.5, I next enabled hald and dbus per =
5.4.2.
	3. Then as I remember, I tried to startx and ended up with a =
black screen from which I could not escape. Had to manually shut off and =
restart the PC.
	4. Next I think I went ahead with the Xorg -configure per 5.4.2. =
and ended up with an error saying that "fbdev" was missing. Don't know =
what fbdev is.
	5. Somewhere in the mailing list archives I found a similar =
error description that solved the problem by installing fbdev from =
packages or ports or can't remember where. Anyway fbdev seemed to =
install OK, at least I didn't see anymore error messages to that effect.
	5. When I run Xorg -configure now and then look at the =
configuration file xorg.conf.new, I can't see any obvious errors but of =
course I mostly don't know what I'm l;ooking at.
	6. The Handbook next suggests testing the configuration and =
gives instructions for a modified command for later versions of Xorg. I =
found that the modified command does not work. Fortunately my screen =
tells me a different command to test the server config: X -config =
/root/xorg.conf.new.
	7. OK, so I try the alternative test command but still end up at =
a black screen from which I've found no escape. (As an aside I'd sure =
like to find a more graceful way to recover from that black screen. The =
procedure described in 5.4.2, Ctrl+Alt+Bksp, does not work even when =
enabled for later Xorg versions. Nor does Ctrl+Alt+Fn.)

I'm sure there are logs or files I could supply that would help sort out =
this problem; if I knew what they were I'd send them. As I don't have =
email configured of the FreeBSD machine, I'll have to manually copy =
those lines. I'm so new I don't know any other way to get text off of =
the machine.

Here's my hardware for what it's worth: SONY Vaio Desktop, Pentium 4 =
2.0GHz, 2GB RAM,  GeForce FX5200 256MB PCI Vid Card, 2x IDE HDD's, =
DVD-RW, CD-ROM, FDD. I do have my mouse (Ikari Optical), keyboard =
(Logitech Wireless), and montior (ASUS LCD) running through a KVM, but =
they haven't had any troubles being recognized and operating after =
bootup.

Would appreciate anyone's suggestions. Thanks. John Hixson=20=