Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:43:25 +0100
From:      "Thomas Franck" <TAFranck@gmx.net>
To:        Miguel Ramos <miguel@anjos.strangled.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2 NICs, SMP, weird kernel ARP messages

> Sex, 2006-02-17 =E0s 15:43 +0100, Thomas Franck escreveu:
> > > Unless you take special measures (ng_fec?), one does not
> > > normally connect two NICs on one machine to the same collision
> > > domain.
> >
> > Hmm.. don't really see a problem with that.. two NICs with
> > diffent IP on the same subnet.. binding say, a webserver and a
> > database to different NICs... takes load off the single NIC,
> > giving 100MBit to each service...
> >

> If they're on the same collision domain, then you're not giving 100Mbps
> to each service, that would be good. That's why it usually doesn't make
> sense (I understand that this is a temporary configuration...).

they should both have (almost) 100MBit as they're connected with
switches.. so the collision domains are broken up for each NIC..
right down to the VLAN'ed base-switch...

> You can have two IP addresses on the same NIC anyway...

yeah.. but it's only one 100MBit that the services have to share on
that NIC.. :) it doesn't matter, though.. we don't have that much
load anyway (and if we have a peak, it's not critical) - it was just
an example why I don't see a problem.. :)

- Thomas