Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 23:54:44 GMT
From:      dgilbert@velocet.net
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   kern/10575: tx0 slows to crawl

>Number:         10575
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       tx0 devices slow to crawl over time
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:

	I have a number of machines with one or more Etherpower II
ethernet cards in them.  The number of cards does not appear to
matter.  This bug appears in both FreeBSD-3.0 and FreeBSD-3.1

	Left to it's own, the tx0 driver will start to 'hold' packets
until the system is virtually unusuable.  A typical symptom is where
pinging the machine will yield an X second pause followed by a spurt
of X ping packets.

	The strange thing about this problem is that trafic causes
this problem to be less frequent.  More traffic on an interface will
make the problem happen far less often and far less severely.

	On a machine that has many websites and an average 40K/s
traffic and on a machine that has two of these cards to be a router
and firewall, the problem takes as much as a week to manifest
and X will be 1 or 2.  On a machine with very little traffic (not
entirely in production yet) the problem will normally develop
over about 24 hours and X will be 16.

>How-To-Repeat:

	Use a tx0 card in a machine, and let it sit almost-idle
for 24 hours.

>Fix:

	I have found that ifconfig up is not enough to fix the problem
(as I have heard about the ep0 driver).  I have found that ifconfig down
followed by ifconfig up is required.