Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:17:18 -0700
From:      Manfred Antar <mantar@pacbell.net>
To:        Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world left me with an unbootable system

At 03:55 PM 4/20/2000 -0400, Adam wrote:
>Last night around midnight EST I cvsupped and did make buildworld, config
>-r'ed my kernel, compiled it, installed the kernel and did make
>installworld. I rebooted expecting the system to come up fine but it
>failed with "Invalid partition table".  This was just after removing 2 of
>3 of my dimm's becauseI thought they were causing a seperate
>problem.  The system is not overclocked, but SMP. Attempting to boot
>kernel.old left me with the exact same problem.  Here is what my screen
>says:
>
>Verifying DMI Pool Data .......
>
>BTX loader 1.00  BTX version is 1.01
>Console: internal video/keyboard
>BIOS drive A: is disk0
>BIOS drive C: is disk1
>BIOS drive D: is disk2
>BIOS drive E: is disk3
>BIOS 639k/130048kB available memory
>
>FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.7
>(user1@sapphire.looksharp.net, Thu Apr 20 01:30:00 EDT 2000)
>/kernel
>  text=0x186b9f data=0x3b81c+0x1b33c syms=[0x4+0x26000+0x4+0x2ac6c]
>-
>Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
>Booting [kernel]...
>Invalid partition table_
>
>where _ is the blinking cursor
>

>I am not afraid of using the fixit disk if I have to, but I also have a
>spare 5g disk I could toss in and install freebsd on if that would be the
>easiest way of fixing this.   ANY suggestions or insight to the problem is
>appreciated!
Yesterday
I built a new loader (/boot/loader)
after there were some changes made to the src tree for the loader.
When I rebooted the machine hung with some error messages.
I used the fixit disk and mounted the root partition and copied /boot/loader.old to /boot/loader
Then everything worked.
Try that
Manfred