Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:53:12 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "PSI, Mike Smith" <mlsmith@mitre.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel after halt issued

"Crist J. Clark" wrote:
> > Is the kernel still running after a halt?
>
> I don't think it will work. As a simple test, I pinged the box when it
> was up. It ponged fine. I shut it down (shutdown -h now) to the,
>
>   The operating system has halted.
>   Please press any key to reboot.
>
> Prompt and pinged again. Silence. Since the ICMP responses all live in
> the kernel's IP stack, I don't think there is an IP stack running.

It isn't clear to me that card interrupts were disabled; an
interrupt interrupts the halt.

What you are seeing might just be NETISR not running,
but the card interrupts still being delivered.  It really
depends on how dilligently shutdown shut things down.

I have to admit to liking the idea of going back to the
boot loader... but that's hard, and will probably just
result in the system booting back up, so it's not a good
plan, particularly with software control over power supplies.

-- Terry