Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 1996 00:05:35 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5-R  kernel root on sd0 fails

E-mail message from J Wunsch contained:
> As Hr.Ladavac wrote:
>
> > I added
> >
> > kernel  root on sd0 swap on sd0
>
> This should not be needed, unless you boot with the -r option.

Well, it didn't work anyway.

> > to the config file, re-ran config and had a panic: cannot set sd1
> > root device.
>
> Ah, wait a minute...  you had the IDE drive still enabled in the BIOS?
> Then it's obvious: you gotta boot with
>
> 1:sd(0,a)/kernel

Sure, I know that.  But it requires manual intervention on *every* boot.

> Disabling the IDE drive in the BIOS is also an option (you could still
> use it from BSD anyway).

Not on this box (or the owner of the disk would hang me by the balls).
She wants to have access to her files and does not like the idea of
fiddling with the BIOS configuration.

> > I did manage it afterwards by hardcoding makedev(4,0) in autoconfig.c
> > and swapgeneric.c as the rootdev, but this is not exactly the solution
> > I sought for.
>
> swapgeneric.c is only used if you configure your kernel as
>
> 	config kernel swap generic

Honestly speaking, I didn't really look into the link list;  I just changed
it as that was the only place I could find where rootdev and dumpdev are
defined.  I guess it needs to be linked in.

OTOH, your statement implies that the kernel root device configuration
option is actually broken.  I'll take a look in the config sources, then.

/Marino