Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 1995 18:27:55 -3200 (PST)
From:      Brian Litzinger <brian@MediaCity.com>
To:        audience@soback.kornet.nm.kr (JoongSub Lee)
Cc:        brian@MediaCity.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: configure serial port

> hi, all.
> i tried to run pppd, i found out my kernel didn't recognize my serial port1
> i have freebsd 2.1.0 and compaq contura 410c portable.
> compaq's setup program said port1(comm 1) was 3f8h, irq4.
> so looked into my kernel configuration file, the default setting was right.
> but when i tried to look at dmesg, it didn't recognize at all.
> any advice i really apreciated.
> thanks.
>
> ps i successfully used port1 in linux.

I have trouble with test 5 of FreeBSD's sio probe not recognizing
COM2 on my laptop.  I commented it out and built a new kernel.

Unfortunately, you can't try this as, you haven't got the OS
installed yet. 8-(

I believe there is someway to set the sio probe code into verbose mode,
so it will at least tell you which test is failing.

Brian Litzinger					       Powered by FreeBSD
<brian@mediacity.com>                            http[s]://www.mpress.com
speakfree.mpress.com [use -t (GSM)]
videomsg.mpress.com  [mpeg 1 system stream, or h.261 AV stream]