Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 1995 11:44:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com (Marty Leisner)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, patj@sierra.valleynet.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Windows 95 filespace support?

> The current beta mtools support VFAT filesystems...

Yes.  It's relatively trivial, other than short/long name synchronization
and the short name numeric tail generation mechanism.

I'm certain the mtools code doesn't do case conversion or case sensitivity
on long name storage but not on long name lookup, and I'm sure that it
doesn't handle Unicode case range vector tables.

> There's also an xmsdos file system for linux to look at...

Less useful because any derivitive work from that would be GPL'ed.

> You can still read/write the files, but they're in the
> munged form (each "long file name" has a corresponding 8+3 name).

Yep.  What's wanted is a mechanism for accessing either or both from a
UNIX interface, and then choose one based on FS composition using VFS
layers.

The same thing goes for UMSDOS support of the --linix-.--- long name
and metadata support.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---