Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 20:27:08 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: No-go with read-only src tree

On Friday, 19th September 1997, Snob Art Genre wrote:

>It's trivial . . . just fix unionfs.  :-)

Unionfs will be a great toy some day.  But for now, I don't need it to
fix this problem.

>On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Stephen McKay wrote:
>
>> As the last step of the bootstrap, I see:
>>
>> /usr/obj/src/2.2-stable/usr.bin/lex created for /src/2.2-stable/usr.bin/lex
>>
>> but I DON'T see the expected lex/lib equivalent.

Well, a bit of experimenting shows that this is caused by line 420 of the
main Makefile:

    ${MAKE} ${MK_FLAGS} -DNOLIB all install ${CLEANDIR} ${OBJDIR}

The -DNOLIB stuff says don't process the lib subdirectory.  Unfortunately,
when cleandir blows away the lex obj directory the lex/lib one goes too,
and avoiding the lib subdirectory means that it doesn't get a replacement.

My "fix" is to remove -DNOLIB.  I've kicked off another read-only src build
and will know how it went tomorrow morning.

If this fixes all my problems, -DNOLIB will go.  If not, I'll have to add a
little extra cruft to specifically rebuild the lex/lib obj directory.

If you know why there was a -DNOLIB there in the first place, speak up!

Stephen.