Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 1998 20:39:24 -0600
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley585.res.iastate.edu>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Working (apparently) soft-update code available.

Well, it seems that my machine must just hate me, because I can't seem to
get them to work for more than a few minutes.  Been having lots of bad
luck lately though..  oh well. :(

Anyways, I do have a few comments..

I have gotten the following panic many times.  It seems to occur even
when I do not have soft updates turned on for any of my file systems. :/

panic: softdep_disk_io_initiation: read

>From looking at the code, this seems to indicate that dependancies are
being formed for read operations as well.  This seems somewhat
disturbing..  any ideas?

>look in:
>ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/softupdates4.tgz
>
>first extract the README and read it before extracting everything.
>this should patch cleanly against last night's -current.

In the readme, you might want to mention running 'make includes'
or something before building the userland programs.  If you don't,
some of the defines are not defined. :)

>try a make world before and after..
>particularly,
>make /var/tmp and/or /usr/obj use softupdates.
>
>for a real laugh, try timing deletion of a large directory hierarchy..

I was curious about this.. when i rm'd my /usr/obj, it took about 30
seconds or so.  This seems like a while to me.. I guess maybe I am
impatient though. ;)  Although it seemed faster in OpenBSD, i can't
accurately compare due to possible caching effects.  (in FreeBSD,
the tree was completely untouched beforhand--not recently untarred)

Either way, I was curious about the sync/async stats given in mount.
It seems that some operations are still being done sync?!  Also,
perhaps the stats should be an option to mount rather than given
by default..

>enjoy..
>
>courtesy of:
>Kirk Mckusick
>John Dyson,
>Whistle Communications. (Julian Terry and Archie)

Thanks much to all involved. :)  I have been looking forward to
seeing this work done and integrated for while now.

>this at least should put an end to the
>"ext2fs is faster" arguments, even if they are based on apple/oranges
>comparisons. :-)

I can't wait. :)  It's rediculous, but still annoying to keep hearing
this one.

Chris