Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 12:17:33 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au, mckay@thehub.com.au, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS client performance seems very poor under network load

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 02:34:20AM -0400, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
>
> >Progress in these types of situations nearly always comes from people
> >with enough self-interest in the problem area to actually commit to
> >working on it.  Rather than asking for people who have written an
> >autofsd to step forward, why not instead start working on this project
> >yourselves and ask for volunteers to HELP you address the problem?
> >That's taking on the problem from the right end, IMHO.
>
> I agree wholeheartedly Jordan.  My self-interest in the problem has at
> least motivated me enough to go reading the applicable source but I've
> not had time lately to work on actual patches.  I've got a lot of irons
> in the fire at the moment, especially with students being back around
> (I'm a sysadmin at Vanderbilt University)

Those students ought to be good for something.

> but when things quiet down I
> do intend to work on this.  At the moment I sit daily in front of an SGI
> Indigo2 running IRIX because it's better than Linux and integrates quite
> well with our environment.  I really want a FreeBSD workstation on my
> desk, so I'll likely end up writing the patches just so I can get that
> FreeBSD workstation integrated.  But, no promises on a timeframe so if
> someone else wants to get started now, then by all means charge right
> ahead with it.

Something I really liked about Irix was its userland mediad. Used to
handle floppies and CDROM. Foreign filesystems were handled in userland
daemons launched by medaid. This protected the kernel against corrupt
filesystems. Made auto detection and mounting easy.

I had cut some CD-R's with over 50,000 files and found I could increase
the daemon's cache to 1MB or 2MB and greatly increase my access speed to
the CDROM by caching the metadata.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net