Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:19:35 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on the Intel-UNIX standard

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998 00:26:18 -0500, "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co> wrote:
>I'm concerned about the SNR in hackers, but I just couldn't resist
>asking if someone was aware and acting on this
>	http://www.sco.com/udi/

This was mentioned by some Intel marketroids at the recent AUUG'98
conference.  There was a fair amount of discussion at a subsequent
Freenix BOF (which included Greg Lehey and Peter Wemm within the
FreeBSD group and Robert Hart from Red Hat, as well as assorted
users from the Linux community and all the *BSD groups).

The almost unanimous concensus(*) was that it was a very bad move and
the Freenix community should resist it.  The major problems seen by
the group were:
1) Binary-only device drivers are a bad idea.  It will reduce the chances
   of us getting access to the hardware interface specs, and therefore
   being able to build a device driver that works.
2) Binary-only device drivers tie the hardware to the processor.  This
   reduces the portability of (eg) PCI cards.
3) The difficulty of supporting the kernel services required for a UDI
   driver.
4) Increased finger-pointing when a device driver fails.

Greg and/or Peter might have something further to add.

Peter

(*) I think I was the only person who felt it had any merit at all.
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Alcatel Australia Limited