Date:      Wed, 05 Mar 1997 15:09:23 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange lpr or lpd bug

At 12:56 PM 3/5/97 +0100, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

>> If anybody can supply ideas for things to test, I'll try to make the
>> problem reproducable and hunt it down.
>>

>naive remark: When two printers are using the same spool directory
>(as in your case) what happens? Does the lpd/lpr spool mechanism
>provide a means for telling printer jobs from each other?
>
>I'm using separate spool directories for every printer.

Several people have commented on this; I'd assumed there was some
protection, as sharing the spool directories worked for about a month, then
this problem occured, then it worked for another month.  If this really is
what is causing the problem, I'll add a test for it to lpd, unless somebody
object.  Nothing should be allowed to create that sporadic problems if it
can be tested for.

I'd make the test check for printers with same spool directory but
different targets - somebody might want to use the same printer with
different filters and the same spooldir.

Eivind Eklund perhaps@yes.no http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/ eivind@freebsd.org