Date:      Tue, 25 May 2004 23:55:02 +0400
From:      Toxa <postfix@sendmail.ru>
To:        Phillip Neumann <phillip@chile.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: laptop mode

Hello Phillip,

Tuesday, May 25, 2004, 7:37:21 PM, you wrote:

PN> On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 23:16 +0400, Toxa wrote:

>> Hello Phillip,
>>
>> Tuesday, May 25, 2004, 6:50:46 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> PN> Hello.
>>
>> PN> Ive buy a new notebook, Asus M6N, im heard its almost fully suported on
>> PN> freebsd, even with the intel wireless stuff.
>> PN> Its a centrino, and have a qustion.
>>
>> Wow, centrino processor features _fully_ supported on freebsd? :)
>> Good to hear, but I think it's wrong. I'm sure wireless is ok, but what about acpi? can you
>> suspend your laptop happily?
>>

PN> too bad.. i thought it would work, and  closing and reopen the note
PN> too.. 8(

You should associate closing lid action (I think you mean this) with
appropriate sleepstate (look for this sysctl value). After it, closing
note should bring your laptop into suspend or shutdown or whatewer you
set. But the question is - does your centrino laptop support suspend
to ram? Try 'acpiconf -s 3' to test this. Or maybe your have
acpi4bios=1 (look for this sysctl value)? I think this is the only way
to test if your laptop fully supported on freebsd or not :) I'm sure
intel wireless nic would work as well as the wired one, but acpi...
Would your mind to drop me a line after your experiments?  I'm
interesting with centrino on freebsd but have no suitable laptop (mine
one is just a p4-mobile, not centrino)

PN> You are thinking about hw.acpi.cpu.throttle_state, isnit?...

Sure, AFAIK cpu frequency scaling doesn't supported yet so the best
you can do is to put cpu into sleep for periods of time using throttle
states.
--
Best regards,
 Toxa                            mailto:postfix@sendmail.ru